- Duration: 5 days: March 20th to 24th 2017 (9 AM to 5 PM)
- Language: English
- Location: EMA House: Nordstrasse 1, 8006 Zurich, Switzerland.
- Developers with at least 2 years of experience in Java, eager to learn how to apply their knowledge to the world of Android development.
- Mobile web developers, who have been exposed to native app development in iOS and would like to learn more about it.
- Current iOS developers using Objective-C or Swift, wanting to enhance their skills and take them to the next level.
What you will learn:
- Introduction to the toolchain: quick recap of the programming language, getting familiar with Android Studio and other tools.
- Up and running Android UIs: activities, fragments, the support library.
- Debugging techniques: working with the command line, logging, best practices.
- Networking: consuming REST web services; Retrofit, Gson, JSON and XML.
- Testing: Defensive programming techniques, local and instrumented unit testing, code coverage.
- Storing data in devices: bundled resources, downloading files, local files, SQLite, Realm.
- Application architecture: best practices, using Dagger, introduction to RxAndroid.
- Graphics: custom views, drawing on the screen, persisting view state, animations.
- Making sensitive apps: accessing the accelerometer, getting location information.
- Multimedia: integrating, playing and recording audio and video from your applications.
Candidates will be required to have prior knowledge of the below in order to attend a session:
- Object-oriented and/or functional programming skills.
- Prior knowledge of Swift, Objective-C, C or C++ required. Knowledge of Java is, of course, welcome.
Candidates will need a Mac or a PC with Linux or Android with the latest operating system version and the latest version of Android Studio already installed and ready to use. The standard Android emulator is fine, but those who want to use the Genymotion Emulator are welcome to download it and install it prior to the training.
For those willing to install applications in their own devices, they should bring their own smartphone and/or tablet, with the corresponding USB cable.
The training includes lunch. Please let us know in case of special dietary requirements (Vegetarian, Vegan, Halal, Kosher, etc.)
Please contact us if you are a student currently enrolled in a University or other higher education institution to apply for a student discount.
- This training is not suitable for mobile developers at a beginners level. Prior exposure to either iOS or mobile web development is required.
- The training cost does not include any transportation or lodging costs, which are under the full responsibility of the attendee.
- Terms and conditions apply.