This awaited update of the “Android for iOS” book includes new chapters, updated code samples and lots of new content! Updated for Android Studio 3.0.1
Android and iOS have a lot in common, but they have quite big differences in approach, style and philosophy. This is a book + code bundle, including a comprehensive introduction to the Android ecosystem for iOS developers. DRM-free, in PDF, EPUB, MOBI (Kindle) and self-contained HTML formats! Read it on any device, without restrictions.
The bundled source code includes 60 Java projects ready to be opened, executed and extended with Android Studio 3.0.1.
Each chapter includes an exclusive “TL;DR” table with API comparisons between Android and iOS!
Table of Contents
- Toolchain: Comparison of Java with Objective-C and Swift; Zygote; Android Studio; Gradle; AVD and SDK Managers.
- Debugging: Breakpoints; logcat; pidcat; NSLogger; Stetho.
- User Interface: UI Guidelines; Support Library; Activities; Intents; Fragments; Layouts.
- Graphics: Coordinate system; Drawing; Animations; Persistence; Gestures; PaintCode.
- Networking: Parsing JSON and XML; Native HTTP libraries; RecyclerView; Retrofit; Web views; Embedded web servers; Zeroconf.
- Storage: Downloads; Files; Preferences; SQLite; OrmLite; Realm; Room.
- Sensors: Querying the device; Accelerometer; Compass; GPS; Google Services.
- Audio, Image and Video: Taking Pictures; Recording Video; Picking images locally; Recording and playing audio; Playing music; Speech synthesizer.
- Architecture: MVVM with Bindings; Dagger; RxAndroid.
- Testing: Defensive programming; Monkey; Local unit testing; Instrumented testing; Code coverage.
- Multithreading: how to avoid blocking the main thread; Runnables and Threads; ThreadPoolExecutor; AsyncTask; Handler and HandlerThread; Service; IntentService; JobService; JobIntentService.
- NDK: Creating a cross-platform application sharing C++ code with an iOS project.